Physical injuries from animals
Animals may be encountered at any incident; their presence and behaviour may have an impact on the incident, or on the emergency responders in attendance. Animals may present hazards such as:
- Obstructing emergency responders
- Physical injuries, including:
- Crush injuries
- Puncture wounds
- Cuts, bruises and abrasions
- Stings or bites, which could be venomous or cause anaphylaxis
For information regarding diseases and infections caused by animals, such as zoonoses, refer to Infectious diseases.
For information regarding rescuing or evacuating animals refer to National Operational Guidance: Incidents involving animals.
Knowledge and understanding
|Physical injuries from animals||
Understand all associated hazard knowledge
- Control measureCorrect manual handling techniques
- Control measureAvoid, contain or control animals