Control measure Access a silo or storage tank
Control measure knowledge
If it is essential for personnel to access the silo or storage tank, this could be by using fire and rescue service ladders, or, subject to an assessment of their condition, ladders that are a fixed component of the silo or tank installation. Depending on the height of the silo or tank, it may be appropriate to use aerial appliances for access and egress.
Before opening any hatches, a risk assessment should be carried out. If hatches need to be opened, fire and rescue service personnel should have extinguishing media in place if appropriate, and should ensure that they are not positioned in front of hatches as they are opened.
- Ensure that information about silos and storage tanks is included in Site-Specific Risk Information (SSRI) if appropriate, along with procedures for accessing them
- Consider requesting advice or assistance for accessing the silo or storage tank from the responsible person
- Consider using fire and rescue service ladders, fixed ladders that form part of the installation, or aerial appliances for access and egress
- Avoid disturbing or dispersing dust
- Consider requesting the attendance of specialist rescue teams and equipment