Control measure ARCHIVED - Establish an assurance process
Control measure knowledge
Operational assurance deals with the effectiveness of fire and rescue service arrangements for implementing policies, procedures, guidance, hazard and risk assessments. Observation can enable fire and rescue services to maintain and improve their ability to manage such operational risks, by learning through audits, monitoring and performance reviews.
Auditing is specific in that it is a structured process for collecting information and data on the efficiency, effectiveness and reliability of operational information. Auditing should define the areas to be covered and the benchmarks against which the information will be measured.
The policy should include:
- Preventing injury and ill health of firefighters and other emergency responders
- Managing and mitigating risks in the community
- Continual improvement in providing accurate, relevant and timely operational information
- Complying with the legal duties of fire and rescue authorities in relation to operational risk information
- Complying with formal guidance and 'best practice' models
- Audit and review mechanisms
There are no tactical actions associated with this control measure.