Skip to main content

Developed and maintained
by the NFCC

Control measure

Access to specialist advice

Control measure knowledge

Seek specialist advice at any incident that could pollute the environment. This could be a hazardous materials adviser or third party expert.


Strategic actions

Fire and rescue services should:
  • Ensure that fire and rescue service managers who are likely to be in command of an incident involving hazardous materials and/or environmental risk, or are likely to perform the specialist advisory role of hazardous materials advisor (HMA), receive specialist environmental training. This training should place emphasis on larger-scale incidents where there is significant environmental risk

  • Consider mobilising or involving a Hazardous Materials Advisor (HMA for any incident with the potential to pollute the environment, not only those incidents involving hazardous materials. See section 3.3, Environmental Protection Handbook

  • Identify triggers where the local environment agency should be informed or where advice should be requested

  • Secure access to more detailed advice from scientific advisers or from the CHEMSAFE service provided by the National Chemical Emergency Centre (NCEC)

Tactical actions

Incident commanders should:
  • Ensure that all appropriate environmental agencies are informed of the incident when required

  • Consider the appointment of a HMA (or equivalent) to oversee environmental protection activities

  • Consider seeking specialist advice from a HMA on remedial action for spillages and fire water run off

  • Request advice from appropriate environmental protection agencies

  • Consider specialist advice from:

    • Chemical suppliers whose products are held at the incident site
    • Contracted specialist advice
    • Chemsafe
    • National Chemical Emergency Centre (NCEC)
  • Notify the environmental agency if a HVP or large volumes of water are being extracted and used

  • Request appropriate environmental protection (EP) resources (e.g. hazmat adviser, EP equipment, pumps)