Control measure knowledge

Seek specialist advice at any incident that could pollute the environment. This could be a hazardous materials adviser or third party expert.


Strategic actions

Fire and rescue services should:
  • Ensure that fire and rescue service managers who are likely to be in command of an incident involving hazardous materials and/or environmental risk, or are likely to perform the specialist advisory role of hazardous materials advisor (HMA), receive specialist environmental training. This training should place emphasis on larger-scale incidents where there is significant environmental risk

  • Consider mobilising or involving a Hazardous Materials Advisor (HMA for any incident with the potential to pollute the environment, not only those incidents involving hazardous materials. See section 3.3, Environmental Protection Handbook

  • Identify triggers where the local environment agency should be informed or where advice should be requested

  • Secure access to more detailed advice from scientific advisers or from the CHEMSAFE service provided by the National Chemical Emergency Centre (NCEC)

Tactical actions

Incident commanders should:
  • Ensure that all appropriate environmental agencies are informed of the incident when required

  • Consider the appointment of a HMA (or equivalent) to oversee environmental protection activities

  • Consider seeking specialist advice from a HMA on remedial action for spillages and fire water run off

  • Request advice from appropriate environmental protection agencies

  • Consider specialist advice from:

    • Chemical suppliers whose products are held at the incident site
    • Contracted specialist advice
    • Chemsafe
    • National Chemical Emergency Centre (NCEC)
  • Notify the environmental agency if a HVP or large volumes of water are being extracted and used

  • Request appropriate environmental protection (EP) resources (e.g. hazmat adviser, EP equipment, pumps)